Witches & Wyverns
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Witches & Wyverns

An RPG gaming forum for friends.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

126Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:19 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
"The councilman's name is Immeral Xiloscient."

A gaunt human man with a stern face walks through the door from the waiting area, and it would be impossible for the assembled group to not recognize Luther Rivvers, the powerful Commissioner of Feytower. He is steadying Laerdya Siannodel with one arm; the frail elf woman clings to him with every step, despite their evident and obvious mutual disgust for each other written in every inch of their body language.

Luther gives them a dry look, seeming somewhat amused by the expression on Glen's face. "What? We've known the Redfangs were involved for weeks; you think we didn't look up their political connections?"

The elven woman at his side seems almost barely conscious, but she rallies when she sees Jarek. "Oh! You are Jarek Riptide, yes? Oh, excellent." She almost coos her approval. "You see, I was ordered to send a ransom for my daughter into the Silverwoods. It took me two weeks, but I was able to acquire two tame fighting griffons to use in place of oxen for the cart. The stable master swears the Riptide family is the best at handling magical monsters, do you think you can handle griffons?" She looks up at the half-orc man with hopeful, expectant eyes.

127Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Cynebeor

Cynebeor
Jarek grins toothily as he bows to Laerdya.  "It's a reputation Riptides have worked hard to earn, miss.  Wrangling griffons is risky business for anyone who's not earned a place in their pride--they're like cats a hundredfold over," he added, with a glance at the griffoid Hamish, "but we never shy from risk."  He chuckled once to himself, remembering.  "Love the sounds they make."

Luther, on the other hand, makes him nervous, especially by announcing his entrance with a declaration on his superior criminal espionage.  With only a let me get out of your way glance to the commissioner, Jarek steps forward and offers Laerdya his arm on her other side.  "I'll get you seated if you like and you can tell me more about what you want to move and how far--I assume it's a tricky route, or you wouldn't be thinking griffons were a good choice."  He looks as well to Thimb, for advice or insight or at least reassurance, and then Glen, unsure what kind of tensions might be looming between the scruffy elf and the Feytower's master.

128Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Luther is more than happy to relinquish his hold on Laerdya, standing aside and crossing his arms easily over his chest as he watches her melt into the young half-orc. His eyes and body language are all quiet disdain for the woman, tinged with an odd sort of long familiarity for her and her mannerisms. Jarek receives none of his judgment, and is apparently simply uninteresting to the commissioner.

Laerdya leans into Jarek gratefully as he helps her to her seat; she weighs about as much as a leaf, and trembles as though tossed by an autumn wind. "Oh! It's not that the route is tricky," she gushes with quiet enthusiasm for her plan, "it's that the woods are dangerous. We're turning tables on the kidnappers, you see? We're going to have the griffons disguised as ordinary oxen, and when those varlets who stole my daughter draw close to the cart, whoop!, off go their heads."

129Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Roocifer

Roocifer
Ellowyn coughs politely "ma'am I hope you don't mind if we take the liberty of gathering as much information as possible on our own ways. It maybe that the plan may have to change. Just slightly.

We have ways of gathering information that perhaps aren't accessible to more ....official channels. But we have 2 weeks to assess as need be and I'm sure we can find a way of getting messages directly to you without interception should things need to change."

Their tone is as professional as they can muster.

Its kind as they try to explain to their employer without actually saying her plan is practically suicide.

130Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:07 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Laerdya looks up at Ellowyn, a touch confused. "Well, I had... I had planned we would use the two weeks to practice. There's magic that will have to be taught, and the griffons need to learn your scent..." Her voice trails away faintly.

131Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Roocifer

Roocifer
Ellowyn smiles hesitantly.

"Would 12 days be sufficient ma'am? That gives us 2 days to gain any extra knowledge we possibly can that perhaps the guards where unable to access due to their being... Well guards."

"It means we can more easily anticipate any nasty surprises and give us all a chance to prepare for the undertaking. I know personally I have one or two messages I need to send to let clients know I'll be busy for a while. Would that be ok ma'am, I wouldn't want to assume?"

They nervously look round the room for back up. As they try to keep their voice as steady and as kind as possible.

132Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:35 pm

beardyblue

beardyblue
Glen stands up a little straighter as their host and the commissioner enter the room. It would not do to make a poor impression, which would surely reflect poorly on his commander.

Rivvers’ words and condescension cut through Glen. He gently bites the inside of his cheek to stop himself from saying anything. Instead, he opts for deference. The warmth is gone from his voice, replaced by a flat but respectful affect. “Commissioner Rivvers, of course you’ve already looked into the matter; we were merely trying to come up with a starting point. Thank you for the information; it is helpful.”

He turns then to Laedrya, addressing her more sympathetically. “The cleric’s advice is wise, ma’am. The Silverwoods are extremely dangerous, even when not being occupied by murderous kidnappers and pirates. Besides that, even if the ambush succeeds, whomever was tasked with collecting the gold may not even know where your daughter is. Then, when they do not return, she could be harmed or worse. The last thing we want is for harm to come to your daughter. If, as Ellowyn suggests, you give us some time, we can see what other leads are out there. If there are none, we can revisit the original plan.”

133Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:58 pm

Griffin

Griffin
Sunrise nods at Glen's words. "And they may be expecting an ambush," she says, as gently as she can. "I'm sure Thimb and Jarek can get to know the griffons as well as gather information, and of course those of us who use magic would be happy to learn whatever you would like to teach." She hesitates. "But Glen's right; going in without enough information could put your daughter in more danger. Nobody wants that."

She steps to Laerdya and takes her hand. "We will find her," she says quietly. "We can go places the guard can't, ask questions they won't get answers to. We have a plan of attack for how to find out what we need to know, and we're going to start on it today." She meets her eyes, lowering her voice further. "You're not alone. We're on your side, and we will help. But we need you to do something too, my lady."

134Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:13 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
"But I... Two days isn't..." Laerdya looks between Ellowyn, Glen, and Sunrise with a troubled gaze. Polite and delicate though she is, she seems profoundly unconvinced by these ideas, still clinging to the shreds of the plan she's worked so hard on for so long; tunnel-vision is a terrible thing to try to break out of.

Luther, scowling, leans against the wall by the door and looks unimpressed. "It's a stupid idea," he says in a cold voice, eyes narrowing at the others. "Laerdya, you're hiring them to drive a cart and beat up pirates, not to think. Why should they be able to succeed where Callahan and the city guard failed?"

This is enough to set the tired woman off on a tirade. Flying to her feet, she scowls at the commissioner with tired eyes. "I hired them as consultants, Luther, and yes that includes thinking. If Rik and his team feel this is a better course of action, then I trust them--far more than I trust you and Callahan! If there's even a chance this plan of theirs can save Gwyn's life, then it has my full and complete backing."

She sways on her feet after this speech, and Sunrise and Jarek have to help her gently back down to sit. "...I... What did you need from me, dear?"

135Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Griffin

Griffin
"Rest," Sunrise says firmly, not sparing a glance at Luther. She gestures at the muffins. "Eat something, and go lie down. Try to trance, and I mean really try." Gently, she adds, "Your daughter needs you functioning at your best, and so do we. Not taking care of yourself won't help her; getting food and rest into you so your mind and body stay sharp might."

136Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Laerdya doesn't like this, but after a long pause she sighs. "I... will try to trance for a little while," she agrees, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. Sighing, she rises and moves for the door. "Luther, they wanted to... to see Gwyn's room. I... I can't. Take them, please? And give them their wages for the first week from my personal funds, please? Thank you."

The request is dispatched with all the regal carelessness of a reigning queen and Luther thins his lips. "Of course, Laerdya; I have truly nothing better to do with my time than play exchequer and valet." He opens the door for her as she sweeps out, then closes it firmly behind her and looks back at the others. "Well, that was fun," he observes dryly. "I do feel obliged to inform you that none of you are required to take this job. Laerdya forgets to mention such details."

137Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:30 pm

CleverNamePending

CleverNamePending
Thimb's response to her brother was a half shrug saying 'Man I dunno either' but she seemed... unperturbed by Luther after their earlier exchange. She had, after all, given him a muffin. This meant they were friends. "I was actually hoping your guard might be able to work with us, at least a little?" asked Thimb, her usual complete and utter lack of guile on display as Luther paused. "At least if you could share what information you've gotten already?" she cocked her head to the side, not entirely unlike a puppy. "A fresh set of eyes who haven't been going over it repeatedly might find some new insights," she continued, "I've done that with my own research a few times, it can make a world of difference."

Persuasion:

138Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:04 pm

beardyblue

beardyblue
If you say so, Commissioner. Glen takes some pleasure in the fact that the commissioner appears not to know that he is, in fact, required to take the job, having been ordered to meet with Laerdya and obey her in all things. But no matter - he wants to be here anyhow. "For the city, for Miss Siannodel, for the safety of all of our loved ones." His eyes pause on Rik as he looks around the room at the assembled guests. "I'm in."

"Thimb is right, Commissioner. Anything you can provide us about the councilman and the Redfangs would be invaluable. Please." He adds, remembering to be polite.

139Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:12 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Luther gives Thimb an odd look. "'My' guard? Do you mean the Feytower guards?"

Then his expression clears and his lips thin. "Ah, I see the source of confusion. Allow me to correct some misconceptions: I am the elected commissioner of the Feytower. As such, Laerdya reports to me. One of her charming quirks is her tendency to believe everyone else in Brilight reports to me as she does; this is incorrect. If you wish to speak with the city guard, you will need to talk to Commander Callahan. He is not an elected official, but appointed by the council. I can give you a token of introduction that will ensure he makes time for you, but I cannot order him directly." He gives them a dry smile. "I have to rely on my charming personality for favors from him."

Turning to Glen, he gives a tight nod in acknowledgment. "Which is not to say that I myself am entirely without information, correct. What do you want to know? 'Anything' is a rather large net. I gather you know already that the Redfangs are an orcish family which are suspected of organized criminal enterprise and which have a marital tie through Betreygis Redfang with councilman Immeral Xiloscient's only child?"

140Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:18 pm

beardyblue

beardyblue
"Thank you for offering, sir. Yes, we know that much, but little else. Can you tell us how the Redfang family is organized? Identities of captains, lieutenants, advisors? And can you tell us generally about Councilman Xiloscient? His motivations, his personality, his allies, anything? Do you suspect his involvement in this?"

141Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:41 pm

CleverNamePending

CleverNamePending
Hamish made a series of noises, and Thimb cocked her head, "Where do babies come from?" she translated, not fully realizing what she had just said out loud. Then she realized it entirely and turned an interesting shade of pink, "That was- I mean-" she pointed to Hamish, "I was just repeating what they said," she explaining, slightly panicked.

She then cleared her throat, standing there in a awkward silence. "I know where babies come from. Honest.

142Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:44 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Luther shakes his head. "Unfortunately, I cannot be much help with the inner workings of the Redfang family. They are tightly knit and notoriously do not recruit outside the family for help. They even marry inside the family; Councilman Xiloscient's child is one of the few instances I know of where they took in an outsider, and that was an obvious bid for power. Commander Callahan has been seeking someone willing to defect and share information about the family structure, but so far has had little success."

"Regarding Councilman Xiloscient himself, I can share a bit more. He is from an old and highly respected family. His seat is one of the ancestral elven seats which pass from parent to child, rather than by vote or appointment. He has one child--Ellwythorn Redfang nee Xiloscient--but there is some consternation about the child at this time. For one, the child was born with clear orcish parentage, and the seat is supposed to be reserved for elvish representation. For two, the child is currently missing. The city guard is seeking Ellwythorn and the hope is that the Redfang family has not, for some unknown reason, killed their golden goose."

"As for his personality, Immeral is reclusive. He does not receive many guests, and his wife and child--when Ellwythorn lived with him--received almost none at all. He does not have many allies, at least not for a councilman, which is probably why he has been willing to cultivate ties with the Redfangs. With regards to this affair," Luther adds with a tired shrug, "I cannot fathom how the removal of Laerdya's daughter from the Feytower would aid him in any manner whatsoever."

When Thimb blurts out Hamish's question, Luther turns a dry glance their way. "I am informed that an orc and an elf have to love each other very much," he reports in a flat deadpan, "but as I am neither, I cannot confirm."

143Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:47 pm

Griffin

Griffin
"And maybe we can discuss this while we head to the girl's room?" Sunrise suggests. She doesn't quite giggle at Thimb's outburst, but her eyes do slide to the gnome in a warm, amused glance.

As Luther talks she listens solemnly, seeming to take mental notes. She does not glance at Rik at the mention of the missing child.

144Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:49 pm

CleverNamePending

CleverNamePending
Thimb simply turned more red, and nods, "Yes-thank-you-all-that-is-helpful-and-so-would-that-token-I'm-just-going-over-here-now-for-legitimate-reasons" she said, walking over to the muffin basket (turning her back to Luther) and just... staring at it. Hoping no one would ask her to do or say anything now because apparently she could not be trusted with such tasks.

145Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:53 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
"Gwynnestri's room is on the fifth floor of the central tower," Luther says, opening the door to lead them out. "The bursar's office--which is where you will be paid, and where we will go over some tokens and final instructions--is on the first floor. Follow me and please don't lag behind."

146Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Griffin

Griffin
Sunrise gives Thimb's shoulder a reassuring squeeze in passing as everyone heads out.

As they head down the hall she steps next to Luther and murmurs, "I suppose I owe you a thank you for that?"

147Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:32 am

MazzieW

MazzieW
Ka'Ri was in a state.

First, it had been a state of anger as Creepy Bastard had stormed in throwing his ego every which way to play the role of the oh-so-competent super genius while insulting every single person he could. Why oh why a certain type of man felt that being an asshole was the same as being clever or necessary to be clever, she never knew, but it never ceased to infuriate her.

Plus, there was that comment about not needing to think to defeat pirates as if his second hand jackboots hadn't just wasted a full month on a wild goose chase that found out as much information as a circle of strangers had figured out in a handful of minutes.

So she had stayed quiet, biting her lip until she could taste copper and trying to mask her face with a quick mental to-do list. Check the room. Talk to Qiao. Maybe break into that Treygis's place.

And then Thimb had made that comment and she found herself flushing bright red and hiding her face while awkwardly shifting her stance.

By the time she had recomposed herself, Creepy Bastard was leading his little whine fest up to the girl's room and then would hopefully leave her be to properly scope it out.

Ka'Ri whispered to Glen and Sunrise as everyone made ready to follow him about whether they wanted to join her in searching the room for clues. After some internal debate, she also whispered to Thimb for aid as well.

"Thimb, um... would you be willing to help us out in searching her room for clues? I think your keen mind might be um... you know, super valuable for any... more esoteric clues."

Insight >= 12:

148Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:45 am

beardyblue

beardyblue
Glen listens carefully to Luther's explanation, which is both very thorough and informative but contains almost no actual leads to pursue. At least they know a little more about the players involved. He starts to follow Luther out the door.

After Thimb's back and forth with Luther, he too stops. He can tell she is embarrassed, and wants to repay her earlier kindness by giving her an opportunity to talk about literally anything else, if she wants. "Hey Thimb, that muffin was really good. Do you think you could teach me how to make them some time?" He waits for her answer then continues out the door, nodding as well to Ka'Ri when she approaches him and asks about investigating the girl's room.

149Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:42 am

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
As they head down the hall she steps next to Luther and murmurs, "I suppose I owe you a thank you for that?"

Luther seems faintly amused by this aside. Murmuring back in response, he answers, "Oh, you owe me thanks for many things, my dear. I'll be interested to see if you ever actually do so, and for which ones."

150Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory - Page 6 Empty Re: Feytower - Laerdya's Laboratory Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:38 am

fruitbat

Sithani is mildly amused at Luther's transparent manipulation of Laerdya - but then, she is distressed and trance-deprived - and does a not-too-terrible job of hiding her delight at Thimb's (or rather Hamish's) question. As they head to Gwynnestri's room she takes the opportunity to scratch Hamish behind the ears. "You're a good blasphemy against nature, aren't you?"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum