Witches & Wyverns
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Witches & Wyverns

An RPG gaming forum for friends.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jarek Riptide, Half-Orc Barbarian Friend

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jarek Riptide, Half-Orc Barbarian Friend Empty Jarek Riptide, Half-Orc Barbarian Friend Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Cynebeor

Cynebeor
Jarek Riptide, Half-Orc Barbarian Friend Orc_sp10
Jarek Riptide, Half-Orc Barbarian Friend Orc_du10

Jarek, age 29, always had the energy and build to make a promising sailor for the prosperous orcish Rabhartach family, but those traits were overshone by his enthusiasm for animals--such as the enormous ever-mutating "domestic chimeras" that his other parents had been breeding and refining for the last few decades.  And then there was his twin (well, step-twin), Thimb, born the same day to a gnome somehow connected in his father's polycule.  The exact association of their parents was never as important as the facts: they were the same age, had many of the same problems and interests, and she had the best ideas and he could climb just about anything even with her on his back.

They both received the surname Riptide, a common simplification of Rabhartach for people who found orcish consonants difficult.  This admittedly separated them somewhat from the richest part of the family, but still had a decent cachet, especially with their growing business in magical materials carefully collected from the unpredictable chimeras.

(AND NOW THE CONCLUSION)

While Jarek's upbringing was greatly enriched by the influence of gnomes, humans, and elves, his grandmother made bloody sure that he at least had a proper grounding in the Rabhartach clan history and the primal might that had seen them to safety and prosperity on the water for so long.  Though he might not have always paid the most attention to tales of his ancestors, pure repetition guaranteed that when Jarek runs, climbs, hauls, wrestles, he cannot help but repeat his grandmother's mantras in his head: steady as the tides, swift as the squall winds, be as unyielding and flowing at once as only the sea can be... possibly something about the dark of the moon?  But those mantras add focus and discipline to orcish fury, and--far more excitingly--his family knows how to draw power and peace from their reverence of the creatures of the sea, whale and crab and shark and turtle, and Jarek is pretty sure that he is on the verge of learning to make this kind of bond with the chimeras.

While the chimera ranchers are well-known to a portion of Brilight's populace, Jarek is better-known in his corner of the city for his efforts during the summer storms a few years back, when tidal floods broke through some protective walls and threatened to wash whole blocks away.  He might not have been able to fight the hurricane, but he dove into the overflowing streets again and again for days, hauling trapped civilians and precious supplies to safety.  Maybe the brine was in his blood after all, or maybe it was to be expected after his years of fierce competition in the Open Trials of Kord (district bronze medalist in the triathlon three years running!), but Grandmother Zanowa gave him a tusky smile and said he'd made Rabhartach proud.

But Jarek didn't take the second chance to join his family of sailors, not when there was so much to be done on the ranch and Cid was halfway through molting and Romin was probably going to give birth and/or lay eggs soon.  Which felt like the right choice, right up until the day Thimb caught a stinger in her vitals, and in a panic of getting her to safety and getting Cid penned up again and keeping the rest of the herd safe and settled, he'd broken that beam he kept meaning to replace and brought a half-ton of steel rods down on himself from the loft like a swarm of javelins.  When he awoke again, and had been assured that his twin was alive as well, he had time to consider his failure.  It was one thing for Thimb to be caught by surprise, working with the chimeras' chaotic biology, but Jarek knew he'd got himself killed through blundering foolishness.  He is still a bit surprised that they went to the expense of reviving him--unlike Thimb, with her unique expertise and sharp mind, he knows he's easily-replaced muscle.  He wonders sometimes if this is just karmic balance for saving neighbours in the storm, and he feels the cosmic prod to get to work again serving people more important than himself.

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Jarek Riptide, Half-Orc Barbarian Friend Zasrei10

Jarek Riptide, Half-Orc Barbarian Friend Zasrei11

Appearance: Quarter-elf, quarter-halfling, quarter-orc, quarter-human, and quarter-dragonborn all add up to dashing. Indeterminate age, but not as young as he used to be. Tall and wiry, with several prominent scars from that misspent youth; not as many of them are from chimera as you might think. Sexy to a fault, with the additional fault that it's clearly very important to him that the ladies find him sexy. Which ladies? All of them. All the ladies.

History: Zasrein (who probably isn't 'Zazzy' to his friends, despite his insistence that he is) traded in his old body and old name a few years back for shiny new ones which matched his gender better, and he's never been happier than the day he got to migrate from Neat Aunt to Cool Uncle.

As Cool Uncle of the extended family of chimera ranchers, it's his job to run errands, deal with suppliers, manage customer expectations (read: stand toe-to-toe with the wizards when they get shouty), pay bills, and convey marching orders from the straight-laced matriarch of the family, Grandmother Prendwyn. He also works to keep the youngsters safe and well, which isn't an easy task in a sprawling polyamorous community focused on raising magical aberrations of nature. In practice his job is a delicate balancing act of delegation and diplomacy.

The Zazster's personality can best be described as ebullient, though the family members who know him best may suspect that at least some of his never-ending cheer is another useful tool that gets him through his demanding job without breaking any laws. Well, any more than necessary.

Other Details: Z-man still feels awful about the accident which took Thimblewick. He was the one who convinced the family not to put Cid down as irretrievably dangerous, and he organized the resurrections for both Thimblewick and (later) Jarek. Grandmother Prendwyn wasn't thrilled by the loss of so much money--even the richest families in Brilight would blink at the cost of two resurrection purchases in one year--but she's never quite been able to say no to the most troublesome of her four sons.

(The Zazter's NPC post is here.)

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Oh my god, I love him more than words can say.

beardyblue

beardyblue
Oh my gosh

He's so wonderful

I LOVE HIM

I can't wait to start with this amazing group of weirdos we've all put together

Sent from Topic'it App

fruitbat

Oh my god he's adorable.

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Uncle Zaz is finally up! Sorry that took so long! And there's a thread here!

beardyblue

beardyblue
Oh my gosh, the Z-Man is the greatest thing, i want him to be my cool uncle so much

Griffin

Griffin
GOD OF LEG DAY YESSSSS

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
One of these days I'm going to have a priest of Kord "heal" a wound by rubbing dirt on it and telling them to "walk it off" and IT WILL WORK.

beardyblue

beardyblue
The cleric kneels, speaking the holy words of his righteous god, praying for healing:

"WALK IT OFF, YOU'LL BE FINE"

Sent from Topic'it App

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
That's basically Kord in a nutshell, yes, hahahah.

Roocifer

Roocifer
Oh my gods god of leg day :D

That made me giggle

Cynebeor

Cynebeor
Edited to complete my intro for Jarek!

beardyblue

beardyblue
:D Yeaaaaaaaaaaa!

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Oh. Oh, Will, my heart at that backstory. I feel like I've been kicked in the chest but in a good way.

Sent from Topic'it App

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum