Witches & Wyverns
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Witches & Wyverns

An RPG gaming forum for friends.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Luther arches a sharp eyebrow. "You are not supposed to know about that," he observes mildly. "To answer your question: I am not pleased. I was brought around to give my blessing, but it was wrung from me unwillingly and I regret ever signing my consent to the plan."

77Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Griffin

Griffin
She shrugs. "The last couple days have all been one long exercise in poking my nose into things I'm not supposed to know about, so." Frowning, she studies his face. "Laerdya told me her reason for it being here. But Gwyn was researching it, and it seems like she suspected someone was up to something much less innocuous. Any idea what she may have found, or how to retrace her bookreading steps?"

78Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:03 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Luther's frown deepens. "If you just want to learn about aboleths, Erdan would be the best person to talk to--or Andry, but she knows more about the uses of the thing rather than about the monster itself. But I'm not sure how to trace Gwyn's reading unless she was actively checking books out from the library and leaving a record."

He sighs and shakes his head. "But it wouldn't take a lot to suspect an aboleth of being up to something. They're literally evil self-styled gods who seek nothing less than total subjugation of all living things to their will. They're capable of extensive mind-control and mind-tampering, and they can't be killed--they essentially coalesce into a new body after death, retaining all their memories. They are incredibly dangerous."

"The one we have in the tower is basically a 'baby'; a re-coalesced one which was captured in its weakened state. The wards on its tank are powerful and contain it, but I am not willing to play with fire forever. Once this plague is cured, the creature will be disposed of. I'm not keeping a would-be god in the city to wreak havoc on the inhabitants."

79Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Griffin

Griffin
She furrows her brow. "It felt more like... like she thought someone here had ill-intent regarding the aboleth. If that makes sense. Like someone wanted to do something bad with it? Which is ominous, given what you just said." She shakes her head. "Could it affect someone's mind from behind the wards?"

80Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:44 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
"It absolutely should not be able to, no," Luther says, looking mildly alarmed. "If it were able to--if Gwyn was genuinely on to something, rather than merely afraid or worried--then we should all be very concerned. I cannot overstate to you how dangerous, and how implacably evil, these creatures are. If released, it would kill or enslave all of us without remorse or pity."

Shaking his head, he sighs. "I don't understand who she could have suspected, nor why. Laerdya and Andry were the driving force behind bringing the aboleth here, and Gwyn knows neither are bent on doing evil. Nor can I imagine that she would think either were under its influence; she's known them all her life and would be well-equipped to see whether they were experiencing personality changes. They have not," he adds. "Well, Laerdya has, but only since Gwyn's kidnapping and only in ways one might expect from that trauma."

81Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Griffin

Griffin
She hesitates. "When she fell ill in Flamerule, it was not long after she discovered the thing's existence, and almost immediately after she decided to take steps to get rid of it. When the diary entries pick up again after she recovered, they don't mention it again. It's not conclusive proof that it was able to affect her in any way, but... be careful?"

82Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Luther frowns and nods. "I'll talk to Erdan about the wards," he says. "But... you're not thinking the aboleth made her ill, are you? Gwyn has always suffered from nervous afflictions, I'm sorry to say."

83Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Griffin

Griffin
"Laerdya's said as much," she agrees. "I just... don't believe in coincidence, I guess. Not when something like the aboleth is involved."

She shakes her head as if to shake away a thought. "But. If I may change gears for a moment. Laerdya says Gwyn just calls her 'Laerdya,' and we know what her pet name is for you," she says with a small, affectionate smile. "Do you know anyone she would refer to as Mother and Father?"

84Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Luther's frown turns thoughtful and he hesitates before answering. "I don't know any 'Mother', but 'Father' could be Rik Templeborn. It would depend on the context."

85Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Griffin

Griffin
She nods. "I assumed it was probably him, to be honest. 'Mother' is the one that really has me wondering, especially since that's who she planned to turn to to deal with the aboleth. Someone powerful, and not someone who's here at the tower and already knows about it."

86Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
He considers this. "Maybe...someone connected to Rik in some way? Clerics can be as powerful as wizards in their own right," he points out. "Or...I don't know. I'm sorry," he adds, looking pained. "I wish I did."

87Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Griffin

Griffin
She nods. "Can't be helped." Then she smiles. "Anyway. I'm sorry for picking your brain; I swear this really was just meant to be a quick social call! I should head out, I'm meeting the others soon, but. I just wanted to check in on you."

88Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
His expression softens with a touch of lingering surprise. "I'm honored. Truly. I've not come to expect..." His voice trails awkwardly away as he struggles to find the right word.

89Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Griffin

Griffin
She tilts her head, giving him a smile both wry and gentle. "You swooped to my rescue in an armored carriage yesterday, I think we can safely assume we're at least at the 'informal social call' stage with each other." Rising, she offers him a hand.

90Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
He softens and gives her his hand, rising with her. "I was swooping for all of you," he points out, almost shyly. "But I... I did worry. I believed you could handle yourself, but even the best of us can be taken down by bad luck."

91Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Griffin

Griffin
"Well, it was definitely appreciated," she tells him with feeling. "I believe I can handle myself too, but that doesn't mean I want to test the theory in a street brawl."

At the door she hesitates, then steps in for a brief hug. "Take care of yourself too," she whispers. "While you take care of everyone else."

92Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
The hug startles him, but he holds her a moment longer than she may intend, grateful for the touch. At her command, he chuckles softly. "Oh, I'm afraid I gave up self-care twenty years ago," he admits in an undertone. "But I'm still alive so I must be doing something wrong."

93Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Griffin

Griffin
"Buddy, I just barged into Laerdya Siannodel's house uninvited and made her take care of herself, don't think I won't do it to you too," she threatens, chuckling. "I'll send word when we know more, okay?"

94Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
A slow grin spreads over his face. "Madam, one thing you can take on faith is that I am infinitely more stubborn than Laerdya Siannodel. And, thank you. For the first time since this happened I remember what hope feels like."

95Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) - Page 4 Empty Re: Grieving Mother, Take Two (Sunrise) Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
[Thread Close. You get 50 XP.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum