Witches & Wyverns
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Witches & Wyverns

An RPG gaming forum for friends.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to pronounce things?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How to pronounce things? Empty How to pronounce things? Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:49 pm

Roocifer

Roocifer
So it occurred to me that I have no idea if I'm saying these names and stuff right in my head.

Hammish is that ham-ish or haymish?

Glynlen is it Glinlen or Glinlin or Gleenlen?

This next one is the one my brain can't decide on so says something different everytime lolsob.

Laerdya Siannodel is that layerdia seeanodell or leerdeea shannodel?

2How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:07 am

Griffin

Griffin
If it is not GLEN-lyn and SHAN-no-dell I will be greatly disappointed.

And judgey.

I will judge everyone.

3How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:09 am

Griffin

Griffin
Also for Laerdya I just approach it full-speed with a Scottish accent and make the y almost a j and it works for me?

4How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:17 am

Roocifer

Roocifer
Judge away I've been pronouncing it ham-ish, Glinlin and Layerdia shannodell respectively.

Shannodell because it looks like Sian the anglosiced version of Siobhan my favourite Irish name. Apparently I have a young cousin over there named Siobhan and it makes me happy. All my family needs is saoirse and I'll be ecstatic

5How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:20 am

Roocifer

Roocifer
Also I like the Scottish take on laerdya very cool.

6How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:23 am

Griffin

Griffin
THAT WAS ALMOST MY NAME!!! My mother almost named me Mary-Michael, which is very Catholic even though we're not, but it echoes my mom being named Mary David (she goes by Davie) after her aunt who converted to Catholicism and became a nun and went from Maxine to Sister Mary David (and would have given me a whole host of androgynous nicknames to choose from), and then almost named me Siobhan for our Irish heritage and because it is AWESOME, but instead ended up naming me Jennifer Christine, THE two most common names for AFAB people of my generation, so. Here we are. At least my last name is awesome.

7How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 am

Roocifer

Roocifer
My birth name has an interesting and so typically my mother twist to it.

Its amber-marie. The Marie part is mundane it was a friend of hers my godmother someone I do not like oh well moving on. The amber part however sound boring right? WRONG because in Irish it mean fierce AND the other reason my mother names me amber... The book she read multiple times while pregnant forever amber a book about a 17th century Irish prostitute named amber.

By the way this is not an appropriate fun fact to share with your school class at 8 years old ( I still think it's cool as fuck)

8How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:38 am

Roocifer

Roocifer
I like my name these days too I've Roo Issac McClay it's none of it is legally mine yet but it will be.

Roo was given to me as a nickname by an old friend and I loved it. Isaac is the name I was going to have if I were a boy (of course I fell in love with that name it could be shortened to Zack how cool is Zack I will forever be a 90's kid) and McClay is my great grandmothers surname the woman who was one of the only good things in my mom's childhood and because I'm trying to reconnect with my families roots.

9How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:36 am

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Well gosh I was gonna say Lie-air-dia Shy-an-no-del but I don't wanna be judged by Griff so. Razz

10How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:57 am

Roocifer

Roocifer
See this is why I started this thread because that is not one of the ways I was pronouncing it.

Words are so wonderful

11How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 am

beardyblue

beardyblue
In my head I've been saying "GLIN-len" but I think there is probably more than one way to say it - which is why he just goes by Glen most of the time. :)

12How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:09 am

Roocifer

Roocifer
I was right!?!! YESSSSS 1 out of the batch ain't bad woot woot!

13How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:54 pm

fruitbat

I've been pronouncing it "LYRE-dya see-ANN-o-del", but that's my Classics and Tolkien background showing.

And children of the nineties represent!

14How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:00 pm

OrchidsandBones

OrchidsandBones
In case anyone was concerned, you can pronounce my character's name anyway you can imagine.

15How to pronounce things? Empty Re: How to pronounce things? Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Roocifer

Roocifer
Full on snorting laughter thank you REeKKA

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]