Witches & Wyverns
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Witches & Wyverns

An RPG gaming forum for friends.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sailing Away (Everyone)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 13]

101Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:22 am

fruitbat

Sithani interprets this, hopefully correctly, as a request to catch Sunrise up on what's been discussed. <Okay, first off, you look amazing. Secondly, we all need to be ready, so I hope all your preparations are done. Thirdly, Ka'Ri suggests we take a dinghy from here lest we risk the ship and crew. Fourthly, I hope this is appropriate: there's a temperance song about how mind-altering drugs are collectively the 'Pirate Prince of Hell' and please tell me you can dress like that while singing a parody of it.>

102Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Griffin

Griffin
Sunrise stifles a smile and shoots Sithani a warm, amused look as she joins the others. She makes a questioning gesture, one which could loosely be interpreted as "which way to the dinghy?"

103Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:53 pm

MazzieW

MazzieW
Ka'Ri comes back from hiding the crew and directs everyone over to the dinghies. She then holds a message:

I'm going to swim in and serve as backup in case things go wrong. Especially as I don't have the muscles to hold my own in a fair fight. Glen, did you want to join me on that?

104Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:59 pm

beardyblue

beardyblue
Glen scratches out a message of his own:

Safety in numbers - I think we should stick together. The two of us would be too easy to take out on our own, in the water.

105Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:28 pm

Griffin

Griffin
Sunrise's eyes go wide. Shaking her head, she starts mouthing Nonononono...

Making a face, she fumbles in the swathes of colorful fabric until she pulls out what looks like a thin wire. Focusing on it, she takes a moment to compose her thoughts and to count something out on her fingers, then she sends a Message to Ka'Ri.

That water is dangerously cold, and you don't know what's in it. Sharp rocks, carnivorous fish, monsters. We should stay together.

Then, with four words remaining, she adds, You can reply back.

(Ooc: Ka'Ri can reply with a message of 25 words or less that only Sunrise will hear, if she chooses.)

106Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:32 am

MazzieW

MazzieW
Ka'Ri responds to Sunrise's message:

I'm pretty useless in open combat and I'm worried about the potential for ambush, but I'll trust you all. I'll come along on the dinghy.

She then nods to Glen to acknowledge his point and steps into the dinghy.

107Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:06 am

beardyblue

beardyblue
Glen deftly hops into the dinghy as well. He smiles and affectionately pats Ka'Ri on the shoulder, soundlessly mouthing 'thank you' at her.

108Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:09 am

Griffin

Griffin
Sunrise shoots Ka'Ri a look of relief and gratitude, then carefully climbs down into the small boat as well.

109Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:41 pm

fruitbat

Sithani climbs down to join them as quietly as she can.

110Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:45 pm

CleverNamePending

CleverNamePending
Thimb left the crew with the muffins (wouldn't do to take them and have them get soggy) and was then convinced to not take a fishing pole because really that cover was not going to work. Especially with Sunrise dressed like that.

"Was I supposed to dress up?" she whispered to Sithani with a glance at Sunrise as she hopped into the boat, Hamish fluttering after her. "Because I don't own anything that nice but I do own nicer than this..."

111Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:47 pm

MazzieW

MazzieW
Ka'Ri nervously twists her ring, changing her features into those of a dirty blonde human with shorter hair and a much more angular face. If she was going to go in the front door, she wasn't going to make it easy for them to remember her face.

112Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:16 pm

Cynebeor

Cynebeor
Keen not to interrupt anyone's scheming, Jarek spent most of the trip assisting the crew (as well, perhaps, as watching them for suspicious actions and occasionally touring everything belowdecks to make sure no one with sinister intentions had snuck onboard).  He wasn't shunning anybody, and spoke jovially to anyone who addressed him, but anyone could see that his metaphorical hackles were up as they drew closer to their destination.

Now, with the longboat loading, Jarek surveys the party with some satisfaction.  He's realised by now that he fumbled his first words with Glen, and tries to catch the soldier's eye long enough to send him an earnest smile and a thumbs-up.  This will probably all be fine, and if it isn't, he'll bodyslam pirates until it is. No worries.

Jarek taps his oar in his open hand a couple of times, like a warrior testing the weight of a truncheon.  Which he sort of is, since it's a Rabhartach oar crafted with an eye to melee as much as rowing.  No one would take him as unarmed with any kind of oar in his hands, of course, so the camouflage value is minimal, but it's about the family tradition more than anything.  Sailing into a villain's lair like this is maybe the most Rabhartach thing he's ever done.  And it's not much like he expected.

He clambers into the boat and offers an arm to anyone following.  Once he's in, though, he looks to Sunrise in her remarkable garb.  "Can I say," he whispers, "that it is still surreal to be doing this job and look over and see the Sunrise with us?"

To his sister, when she's close, he simply mutters, even quieter, "I'm not saying don't show off for her, but warn me first, eh?"

113Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:25 pm

beardyblue

beardyblue
Glen nods to Jarek, giving him a thumbs up. It's hard to tell if his serious demeanor is because he still feels sore about their exchange earlier, or if it's because they're headed into a dangerous situation.

Glen looks around, then, and realizes he's lost track of Elen in the movement and message passing and darkness. Then, he sees the kitten nipping playfully at Bruiser's ankles, trying to encourage him into the dinghy as well. Glen smiles, shaking his head at the baby's enthusiasm.

114Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:47 pm

Griffin

Griffin
As the small boat begins to move away from the ship, Sunrise casts her thoughts towards Honey. Baby, can you fly up high? she asks. Up to the ceiling, where you can hide among the stalactites? And then scout ahead: don't go too close to that ship, but get to where you can see it, and let me know if they react as we get closer?

That said, she sits up straight in the boat. Surreptitiously she grabs whichever hand is closes to her (ooc: whoever wants to react to this, feel free) and squeezes it nervously, trying to breathe without a sound as they make their way through the silent dark water.

115Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:26 am

fruitbat

<Just Sunrise, I think,> Sithani replies to Thimb. <It's her special talking-to-pirates costume.>

Sithani squeezes Sunrise's hand back. <Don't worry. However this turns out, you'll be fantastic.>

116Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:07 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Honey disappears up into the heights of the cave with only the faintest flutter of wings, the sound instantly lost in the lapping of water against the boat and the quiet dip of oars as Jarek pulls the boat away from the ship.

The little boat is crowded with seven people (and one large panther kitten), and of course there must now be no talking. They huddle together against the wet cold air and the occasional shocking slosh of water which slaps over the sides. Soon they feel soaked through to the bone and in serious expectation of a head-cold on the morrow; someone stifles a sneeze in the dark and the sound feels like it reverberates for miles.

Bruiser sits in the front with his lantern hooded so as not to give them away to a lookout. Just enough light bleeds from the closed lantern to avoid the walls of the cave and keep an eye on the compass in his lap so that they might maintain a straight heading. This method of navigation is more than a little nerve-wracking, and it is easy in the cold darkness to think about how quickly the water would zap the strength of, and summarily drown, any swimmers 'lucky' enough to survive if the boat were to crash into an unseen obstacle.

Time is impossible to tell in this void, but after what feels like an eternity Sunrise receives the sharp prickle of excited sensation in her mind. Lights. A ship, big and round and sleek. Music and laughter and dancing. Grilled meat and fish and a spicy scent she isn't familiar with. People, but too far away to see much. Many of them orcs, but not the majority. No one who looks like Gwyn, not that she can see. But maybe, maybe, a tall laughing boyish man who could be the Korogur they've seen on the wanted posters.

[Reaction to Sunrise; the rest of you can't see/hear/smell a thing yet. She has a heads-up well in advance because of her telepathic link with Honey, who is scouting ahead.]

117Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:10 pm

Griffin

Griffin
Not long after the first splash of water over the sides, people may begin to notice a slow spread of warmth. Clothes dry - not too fast, not fast enough to set off steam, but they dry. The water puddling in the bottom of the boat warms to the temperature of bathwater so feet don't freeze. It's slow and imperfect and doesn't last nearly long enough - cold mist and new sloshes of cold water undo the progress at least as quickly as it's made - but it's something, a brief respite from the chilly misery.

Suddenly it stops - existing effects don't go away, but there's no further improvement. Then Sithani hears a message in her mind: Honey sees them. They seem festive, music and dancing. Distracted, maybe? She sees Korogur but not Gwyn up top. Pass it on.

That done, she goes back to concentrating on Prestidigitation and slowly, too slowly, the warmth begins to spread again.

(OOC: I'm not going to make Sithani repeat everything I said, but as I THINK her telepathy is more efficient than mine go ahead and assume y'all got the message.)

118Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Bruiser promised to show Glen where Korogur makes his berth. What he failed to mention was that the place is beautiful.

The walls of the tunnel open up and the little dinghy plunges forward into a wide cavern whose round walls and high ceiling sparkle like diamonds from the blue-white glow of a phosphorescent fungus. The light is not enough to reach the water below and reveal the dinghy and its occupants, but it is breathtakingly gorgeous and marks the boundaries of the grotto in shimmering outline. Bruiser quickly puffs out his lantern, not trusting the metal shutters to keep the light from bleeding out.

The pirate ship is moored ahead of them, anchored near a stony slope of wall. An outcropping of rock slopes away from the wall at an even enough level to be used as dry ground by the pirates. Little tents dot the stone floor and are outlined in the glow of standing torches, while the far side and largest portion of this area contains supplies for ship repair, lashed down for safety and covered from the cold and wet by heavy tarps. This area--an "island" in pirate parlance, though it is no such thing, being attached to the cave wall--is quiet and mostly dark. The lively music, raucous dancing, and scents of cooking waft from the deck of the nearby moored ship.

She is draped in light and music. A fine craft, sleek and fast and just fat enough to hold the treasures she gobbles up from the merchant ships. Crew members dance on her top deck or lounge in her rigging, drinking and laughing and calling down cheerily to the dancers below. A little over twenty people are visible from their vantage point on the water, though no one in the festivities looks like Gwynnestri Siannodel. Some eight or nine of the crew members are orcish, at least three are gnomish, one dwarf dances on the deck with relish, and the rest look to be predominantly human in ancestry.

One man with a dazzlingly bright smile and carelessly attractive clothes laughs and claps his hands and beats his feet in time with the music as he watches the dancers with bright eyes. Bruiser nudges Glen when they see him: Korogur.

119Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm

beardyblue

beardyblue
Glen carefully looks Korogur up and down, then takes another look around to see if he can spot any guards, lookouts, or sentries who might be posted either on the ship or in the adjacent camp. He also tries to discern if any of those he can see are armed.

((Perception 9))

120Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:18 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Glen does not see any sentries or armed guards.

121Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:07 pm

MazzieW

MazzieW
Ka'Ri palms over a note to Sunrise:

What's the play? Do I try and sneak on board and look for Gwynn or do you want everyone with you when you make contact?

122Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:16 pm

Griffin

Griffin
The silent answer comes back:
Your call, captain. I will absolutely stroll on board and say hi. Or we can all sneak on. Or both. What do you say?

As before, she has 25 words to use in response.

123Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 pm

MazzieW

MazzieW
Ka'Ri responds I feel more comfortable sneaking if that won't ruin your plan. You seem prepared for a face-to-face if you want to do that.

124Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:41 pm

Griffin

Griffin
Sunrise takes a deep breath and nods. If nothing else it'll distract from what you're doing. Who do you want on Team Sneaky?

125Sailing Away (Everyone) - Page 5 Empty Re: Sailing Away (Everyone) Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:35 pm

MazzieW

MazzieW
Ka'Ri responds I think it should be Glen and me, less of a chance of getting caught. We'll check captain's quarters and below deck. Good luck.

She then passes a note to Glen.

Shall we slip into the shadows and see what we can find?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next