Witches & Wyverns

An RPG gaming forum for friends.


You are not connected. Please login or register

The Search for Skamos (Sunrise, Glen, Sithani)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

The boss considers Sunrise for a long moment, then juggles his cigar over to his other hand so he can take her handshake. "We're going to pretend I believe you," he says, the faintest hint of a smile in his voice.

"You play Politics?" He gestures at the cards on the table. "Violet, deal them in." The girl who so adroitly escaped Glen now begins shuffling and dealing a fresh round at his command.
View user profile
(OOC: Do I?)
View user profile
[OOC: I'll leave that to each of you to decide, but it's a common card game, like knowing Hearts or Spades.]
View user profile
Figuring he can't keep it up forever, Glen pulls back his hood, staring icily at Violent. "Indeed." He's played it many times, used to pass the time between missions or to stay away while on watch on the road. He collects the cards as they're dealt to him and looks at them, his face betraying no emotion.
View user profile
"Everyone in Westside plays Politics," she murmurs, a smile in her voice, and collects her cards. "No pun intended."
View user profile
His lips twitch with a smile of his own as he takes his cards. "But so few people play well."

Without fuss or even noticeable movement, chips appear at the elbows of the three guests that they may bet and bid appropriately for the game. The boss tosses out his first bid, along with a strong opening play: the northern councilman. The game continues clockwise round the table while he watches every move. "Tell me why you were in my territory two days ago? You made quite a mess."
View user profile
Glen calls the boss's bid and makes a play of his own. He remains silent, lest he spit words out in anger about the people in his territory shooting arrows and flinging spells at a young, unarmed father and his infant children.
View user profile
"Visiting a friend of a friend," Sunrise answers with perfect truthfulness. "And offering him a new home." She plays competently but not aggressively, keeping her eye on her cards but focusing more on the people than the game. "My turn: is it standard practice to fire arrows at the guests of people who live in your territory?" Her tone is mild; she watches him with amused eyes.
View user profile
"Sometimes," he agrees bluntly, playing with easy skill; his southern secretary takes the pile and the player to his left is forced to start a fresh pile with a meager two of westwinds. "Your friend of a friend is a special interest of mine."
View user profile
She hides a smile. "Please convey my apologies and compliments to the one I set on fire; that was an amazing shot." For a moment everyone is focused on the cards; once the table settles down she adds, "My friend of a friend is a special interest of quite a few people, it seems. Does it please you to know that he and the babies are safe?"
View user profile
"Yes," the Boss admits, rearranging the cards in his hands in a thoughtful manner. "They are of no value to me dead, and a great deal more to me alive. The ones who attacked you, as a matter of fact, perceived you three as a danger to them. An unfortunate misunderstanding."
View user profile
"Completely understandable," she says with a slight nod. "We made the same assumption about you at first. Although I do wonder about their value to you now that they're no longer in your territory. Does he know that he's expected to benefit you in some way?"
View user profile
Oh. Were they trying to make Thorn dependent on them somehow, so he could help them in politics or for some advantage over the Redfangs? No, that doesn't make sense; he was hiding in a shack here and that's no way to win friends and influence people.

Sithani plays with skill and flair, but wonders if they run the risk of becoming embroiled in a gang war.
View user profile
Glen plays aggressively, in stony silence. He is tired of people who want to use Thorn for their own gains, who view him merely as a valuable game piece. He knows better than to say so during a tense negotiation, although his frustration could be noticed by someone paying close attention to him.
View user profile
"It would be the polite thing for him to do, to at least attend a meeting," the Boss points out, discarding a three of east-seas on the pile. "Your friend did live for an extended period in my territory without my permission. Whilst pretending to be a tiefling, no less. Very gauche."
View user profile
"They do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," she murmurs. "I can hardly fault anyone for having the good sense to pretend to be one of us."

She plays a card, then glances up at the Boss. "You'll appreciate, I hope, that you're not the only ones to whom Thorn has value? And that not everyone who seeks to use him has his best interests at heart?" She shakes her head. "He's a political animal now and he will need allies, but he'll be cautious about choosing them. Let's say he agrees to meet with you. What might he expect?"
View user profile
The first and barest flicker of annoyance appears on the man's face. "Well, it might help if I had a clearer idea of what he can do. Most of what I know is from orcs who were stupid enough to march into my territory without a personal army to back them up."
View user profile
<Did our host ever contact Thorn while he was here?> Sithani asks Sunrise and Glen. <He seems very unprepared for politics.>
View user profile
Glen gives a single smirking laugh at Sithani's question, but the strangers in the room could easily think it's something related to the sizable bid he just made.
View user profile
Sunrise nudges Sithani playfully under the table; more openly, she rolls her eyes in shared disdain for said orcs and nods. "So right now your aim is simply to... what? Establish a positive relationship? Lay the groundwork to build on as you both grow into your respective roles?" She looks at him. "You realize that if he does agree to meet with you, it'll be on his own terms?"
View user profile
"I am sure," the Boss says in an even tone, "that we can find something I have which he might want. Politicians usually do."
View user profile
She smiles at her cards. "I meant more in terms of safety and security. After his experiences with the orcs, he's going to want to take precautions when meeting with you."

She starts to play a card, thinks better of it, and passes. Delicately she adds, "A show of good faith might reassure him."
View user profile
Sithani looks closely at the boss as Sunrise asks her question, wondering how he'll respond to her insinuation that he has still to grow into his role.

Insight check:
12; better than last time, at least.
View user profile
Glen keeps playing, giving no indication of what he's thinking.
View user profile
[Sorry, Boss has a higher DC check than that, Sithani.]

"What did you have in mind?" he asks, sounding faintly amused.
View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum