Witches & Wyverns
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Witches & Wyverns

An RPG gaming forum for friends.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Halwan shakes her head, packing a pipe with something for herself and lighting it with a gentle puff. "Oh gosh. No one really knows what happened? Or, if they do they're not telling! There was just this sudden run on dreamdust and nobody could keep it in stock. They were out here buying up street sellers, even, it was ridiculous. Someone came 'round and cleaned me out; didn't want to spend an evening with me, just 'all the dust you got' and 'thank you very much'." She snorts, puffing on her pipe delicately. "Orcs, right? Who knows why they do what they do. At least she paid a fair price."

27Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 pm

MazzieW

MazzieW
"So what, there were like a group of orcish folks just running around buying it all up? What for like the ultimate slumber party or something? That is pretty wild," Ka'Ri responded hoping to keep Halwan talking about this 'odd' event.

Internally she was a little troubled. She had assumed that this was going to be a dead end given that Gwynn likely went to sea. So why were the Redfangs buying knock-out juice by the bagload... unless the buying it for sea use was the diversion and Gwynn really was being kept somewhere in the city...

(Ka'Ri has no idea yet about the big theory that the Redfangs may be preparing to capture and hold Laerdya).

28Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
"I know, right?" Halwan says of the slumber party idea. "A friend of mine thought this was, like, a whole new market opening up. I warned him not to count his fish before they hatch, but did he listen? Nope! Invested in a wheelbarrow full of the stuff and now he can't unload it and the prices have dipped to lower than when he bought his shares. You can't get greedy like that, you know? Yesterday's fad is tomorrow's memory."

29Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 pm

MazzieW

MazzieW
"Definitely. There was a trend back home for these big ugly hats for awhile. No one knew why. It was just 'in'. Made you look like a peacock during molting season. Heh."

Ka'Ri sidles herself against Halwan as if finally starting to relax, as if this conversation topic is helping distract them from their huge revelation.

"What's the weirdest fad you've seen of late or is the Orcish Slumber Party it?"

30Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Halwan laughs and takes a long puff on her pipe. "Hmmm. Well, some silly girl in the Sun District is trying to buy up 'mermaid eggs' and doesn't realize she's being sold regular stones. And there's a new fortune-teller in the docks who they say can tell you exactly who your true love will be, but you have to bring her a sea-apple and no one knows where you can get such a thing. And, course, the pirates are crawling out of the dock-work these days! Can't swing a cat by the tail without hitting a newly minted corsair."

31Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 am

MazzieW

MazzieW
"Ha, I think I know that girl. There's a girl down the block who always brags about her 'exotic' collection of mermaid eggs," Ka'Ri responds jovially before turning more serious. "Though wow, lots of pirates. That sounds scary. Do you know what's riling them up?"

"Though I suppose," Ka'Ri adds though her voice still tinges with worry, "we could always send them to the orcish slumber party to calm down."

32Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
Halwan snorts. "Orcs and pirates. I stay out of their way. The orcs don't like competition like me, and the pirates too often 'forget' to pay."

33Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:17 pm

MazzieW

MazzieW
Ka'Ri internally winces. Not all pirates were good people or even people you wanted to leave alive and not tied to a mast on the sea floor, but still, there was a sort of professional shame that someone was repeatedly wrong-done by others in your industry. She was definitely going to make sure some of her money made it her way after all of this.

"Ugh," she said. "That really sucks. I'm really sorry that happened to you."

There's an earnestness to her response, one that isn't fully performance but she slips into the performance comfortably enough.

"I... I wanted to say thanks, by the way. This is really helping. I love hearing about all these sorts of weird wild stories and it's nice not having to pretend to be something I'm not."

34Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:19 am

fruitbat

In contrast to Ka'Ri, Sithani thinks she actually does know the girl with the mermaid egg obsession. She's a member of one of the more infamous dining clubs, so Sithani has no qualms letting her distribute her money in such a way. The increase in pirates, on the other hand, intrigues her.

"Is the pirate influx a hiring spree or just new crews coming into town? I hear it's more interesting work than bodyguarding rich kids. No offence."

35Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
The girl giggles again and puffs sweet-smelling smoke at Ka'Ri. "Baby, I just told you lots of folks come see me just to dream pretty dreams. You're not weird, just different."

Sithani receives a languid shrug. "I guess it's the plague? Lots of crews going short-handed, so if you can hold a sword straight I guess'n they'd have you."

36Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:37 am

fruitbat

Sithani shrugs back. "Good to know. At least there's one benefit to those wizard fuckers taking their sweet time over a cure."

37Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:11 pm

MazzieW

MazzieW
Ka'Ri leaves a few lingering trails, giving her space to catch her up on the latest Nightdocks gossip, while playing the insecure confused boy in the mirror that deserved a final send-off into that eternal night. But otherwise, enjoys her time for their hour and returns home, exhausted to take care of the sleepers and process all she learned.

The recruitment drive especially bothers her. It sounds like Korogur and others are taking advantage of the plague and the sidelining of crews like the Osprem to wreak havoc. The mermaid egg also feels like a sticking point. Why would the Redfangs want to corner that market? She'd have to ask Thimb about it. Perhaps it has a more important use than it thought. And the massive buy-in on dream dust?

She shook her head as she sat in her bed, the late hour made more late by her evening duties and these thoughts danced through her head before sleep mercifully finally began to take her.

As her consciousness began to pass, she murmured a final goodbye. "Bye you confused miserable bastard, may you find the peace you deserved."

38Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) - Page 2 Empty Re: Canny Customers (Ka'Ri, Sithani) Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Songbird

Songbird
Admin
[Just a quick reminder that Halwan didn't say the "mermaid eggs" were Redfang-related; there are shady merchants who aren't orcish. ;)

Thread Close. You get 50 XP.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum